The department of forestry was established in 1995 to provide well-qualified professionals in the field of forestry. It furnishes students with the necessary education to face forestry problems in the Kurdistan region and to make sound decisions concerning the conservation of forest resources and assurance of the sustainable yield of the market and non-market goods and services. The department strongly focuses on how establishing sustainable forest plantations and the protection and care of woodland and natural forests.
In this department, we are trying to provide high-quality education and research programs to enable students to analyze issues of Silviculture and Forest Ecology, understand the essentials of Agroforestry and Urban forestry, and Conservation of Forest Resources. We also prepare students to be able to deal with the issues of Forest Management and Economics and to know how to utilize the forest and manufacture wood products.
The department of forestry implements its goals and objectives through a well-balanced integration between education, research, and outreach activities. Generally, the curriculum has been developed to revolve around several areas of interest.
- Silviculture and Forest ecology
- Forest Management and Economics
- Wood Sciences and Technology and Forest Utilization
- Forest Conservation.
The department offers a 4-year B.Sc. program in Forestry and a 2-year M.Sc. program as well as a Ph.D. program.
Strategies to implement the dept. vision & mission
- A coherent and high-quality curriculum has been developed to fulfill the intended purposes of student progression and achievement.
- Improving the dept. teaching and learning facilities,
- Encouraging postgraduate studies abroad,
- Providing ongoing support to the students even after graduation.
The Education Program
The curriculum covers several areas of interest.
- Forest Silviculture.
- Forest Management and Economics.
- Wood Science and Forest Utilization.
- Forest resources conservation.
Goals and Objectives
- The Department of Forestry provides high-quality education and research programs to enable students to analyze issues of plantation silviculture, understand the essentials of Agroforestry and urban forestry, and conservation of forest resources.
- It also leads students to grasp issues of forest management and economics and comprehend how to utilize forests and manufacture wood products.
- Since Kurdistan is mostly a mountainous region, much emphasis is made on providing knowledge of soil and water conservation.
- Both students and staff research are oriented toward upgrading the role of forests in the conservation of soil water and other natural resources.