- The Department of English Language and Literature
In times of growing language internationalization, the department of English seeks to advance foreign language proficiency and cross-cultural competence. Speaking a foreign language is a privilege for the speakers; there are great opportunities for those who know a foreign language. Nowadays, the demand for language professionals is immense in every aspect of life, including public service, media and communication, travel and tourism, science and technology, and research and education, to name only a few. Therefore, a BA degree in English language provides solid language skills and intercultural abilities that are much needed in all these fields. It also prepares teachers of English as a foreign language at secondary, and high school levels, as well as researchers and scholars at the academic circle of the university.
The English department was founded in 1994 as part of the College of Arts. It began as a small department with very limited capacities. But in the course of time, the department grew bigger and the number of faculty members and students increased substantially. Today, the English Department has 28 teachers: 6 PhD, and 22 MA holders. It has graduated hundreds of undergraduate students since 1996, and tens of postgraduate students since 2007 when the MA programme was first started.
Recently, in 2016, the English department has become affiliated to the newly- established College of Languages. Below is a brief description of the focus, aims and objectives, vision and mission statements of the English Department, College of Languages, University of Duhok.
- Focus of study:
- Undergraduate: English Language, Linguistics and Literature
- Postgraduate: Masters in Linguistics, and TESOL.
- Duration of study
-Undergraduate: 4 years (morning and evening classes)
-Postgraduate: 2 years
- Department aims and objectives
- To enhance and encourage continual professional development of the faculty. - -To provide a curriculum that serves the needs of all emphasis areas in the department. - To develop the students’ communication skills and mastery of the English language. - To foster the students’ ability to read closely, think critically, and write persuasively through the disciplined study of English language and literature. - To train the students to conduct correct linguistic and/or literary research by finding and using sources in the library, on the internet, and in the field.
- The Vision of the English Department
We seek to foster knowledge and a love of language and literature in our students. To this end we
- provide students with a coherent curricular framework and relevant, well-structured courses.
- teach a variety of linguistic and literary analytical, pedagogical, and theoretical skills. - teach students to speak, read, and write effectively. - encourage students to think deeply and to reflect on what they have learned. - encourage a love of, and an appreciation for learning and education.
As teachers at the English Department, we also seek
- to welcome the responsibility for always placing quality as the most important goal in all activities.
- to foster a climate of trust, peace and understanding that enhances the learning experience for all students.
- to cherish and constantly renew team spirit and supportive attitude among all members of the English department family.
- The Mission Statement of the English Department
- To build and foster language competency in students.
- To develop critical thinking and cultural awareness through foreign language learning.
- To acquaint students with English literature on the understanding that literature is employed for the sake of building language skills.