Department of food sciences and technology
Food science is a scientific, academic, and professional field that interprets and applies principles of engineering, science, and mathematics to food manufacturing and operations, including the processing, production, handling, storage, conservation, control, packaging, and distribution of food products. Given its reliance on food science and broader engineering disciplines such as mechanical, civil, chemical, industrial and agricultural engineering.
Due to the complex nature of food materials, food science also combines the study of more specific chemical and physical concepts such as biochemistry, microbiology, food chemistry, thermodynamics, transport phenomena, rheology, and heat transfer. Food science and biotechnology apply this knowledge to the cost-effective design, production, and commercialization of sustainable, safe, nutritious, healthy, appealing, affordable and high-quality ingredients and foods, as well as to the development of food systems, machinery, and instrumentation.
Food scientists’ study new ingredients with better nutrition and health benefits, develop new products or technologies to improve the shelf life of the product. A food technologist is not only involved in the food processing, but also in designing of the food plant and various equipment used in processing.
Food science has assumed a lead role in making improvements to dehydration, sterilization, freezing, and extrusion. Food engineering is a vital link between farms and food outlets in the life support of modern civilization.
"Preparing highest level of graduate students and researchers to the world, having excellent scientific and application capability which make them able to handle modern technology and go with the diversity of food industries and food science and/or find suitable solutions for the problems that take place in this fields"
"Effective contribution in realizing in human and economic development of the Community by preparing qualified cadres equipped with the knowledge, skills and able to deal with modern technology to compete in the labor market, and to provide research and engineering consultancy for community service in way that developing the food industries in country and drive the wheel of the national economy."
Food Science and Technology – Program Educational Objectives
- Rehabilitation and training student scientifically and practically in the field of food science, technology, design and operating of food manufacturing, graduate engineers’ technicians can deal with modern technology and development
- Be able to analyze, design, and provide technical and managerial solutions for food technology systems.
- Long-life study, be successful in food engineering technology positions and related engineering technology areas as demonstrated by promotions, increased responsibility, or other professional recognitions.
- The department offers undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Food Science, Food Technology, Quality Control and Food Safety.
- The overall objective is to ensure the quality of training for students, to link training with research and practical application.
- The department aims to develop the capabilities of students, whether in preliminary or postgraduate studies, to be able to meet the community’s need for different nutritional specialties, whether in the field of food manufacturing and preservation, human nutrition, or food health.
- Qualifying students at all levels to be able to pursue their educational attainment through postgraduate studies, research or application in government and private factories.
- The department is a pioneer and distinguished in education, scientific research, and community service in the field of food industries and quality control in the governmental and private sectors, by providing advice and scientific advice to various food factories and holding scientific seminars and training courses
- Qualifying specialists in the field of food sciences with knowledge and skills appropriate to the labor market.
- Developing knowledge in the field of food sciences through conducting applied research, as well as authoring and translating books in the field of food sciences. And human nutrition and work to apply it to serve the community.
- Educating the community about food health and the role of human nutrition in supporting health and preventing disease.
The most important activities of the department in community service:
The educational services provided by the department include the following:
- Giving public scientific lectures to which, the department is invited on private and public occasions
- Writing textbooks and translating important books in the various fields of the department
- Evaluation of scientific research submitted for publication in local and international scientific journals
- Providing advisory services to government agencies related to food industries
- The department has been providing various training services individually or in cooperation with the departments and related units of the college, including the following:
- Holding training courses for workers in the field of food industries within the department
- Holding annual training courses and various workshops
- Production of a lot of food industries in the department, such as jams, juices, drinks, pastries, sweets, meat processing, all kinds of dairy products, canned materials, and others
Fields of work for graduates of this department
The graduate of this department can work as a human nutrition consultant, food chemist, food analyst, food production manager, food quality control manager, quality assurance officer, food industry researcher, and as an employee in the Ministry of Health and Education…etc.
Jobs type for a Food Technology Graduate
- Food technologist.
- Nutritional therapist.
- Product/process development scientist.
- Quality manager.
- Regulatory affairs officer.
- Scientific laboratory technician.
- Technical brewer.