Plant Biotechnology Program
Plant Biotechnology is used in many ways in agriculture. Agricultural biotechnology companies and laboratories work to supply researchers and farmers with tools to increase the yield of plant products, while lowering the costs of production.
One of our major domains of plant biotechnology is the tissue culture.
Plant tissue culture can be defined as the isolation of plant cell, tissue or organ from a donor plant under aseptic conditions and culturing them on an artificial nutrient media then followed by their subsequent inoculation under controlled conditions of light and temperature.
In Kurdistan, this technology was initiated when the scientific research center of Duhok University was first established in 2006. The principle goals of these establishments were to provide elite plant propagate material to the local farmers, development of human resources, and creation of new job opportunities for young generations. The research program going on in this laboratory can be grouped in four major lines as follows:
- Plant breeding and improvement.
- Production of disease and pathogen free mother plants to serve as source for propagation.
- Production of pharmaceutical compounds from medicinal plants in vitro.
- Clonal propagation of plants.
Name Academic Title Position
- Dr. DiaaAyoub Ibrahim Assist. Prof. Team Leader
- Miss. GharbiaHrmz Danial PhD. Student Member
- Mr. Belan Mohammed Khalil PhD. Student Member
- Miss. Rawnaq Hussein Rashad Assist. Lecturer Member
- Miss. Sazan Alias Barakat B. Sc Member